115 pounds later...Mary-Ellen's Journey to Health



I was always the “big girl” growing up. Not really obese, but certainly bigger than I should have been. Out of a family of five kids I was the only one who wasnʼt physically fit. It was after I got married that I really put on a lot of weight. I basically ate whatever I wanted to and did very little physical activity. Three kids and several years later I found myself weighing 278 pounds.

I knew that this was not what God intended for me and that I needed to do something about it. I watched “The Biggest Loser” on TV and came to the realization that these were people just like me. Maybe if they could do it, possibly, just maybe I could do it too.

I had bought a couple of “Biggest Loser the Workout” DVDʼs before with good intentions, but I never followed through. In May of 2011 I decided that this time I wasnʼt going to fail. Enough was enough! I wanted to be able to do things with my kids and more importantly to be a good example to them. I wanted to be a godly example, but I wasnʼt taking care of my “temple”.

And so it began. I used things I learned from “The Biggest Loser” and from the internet and began my journey. It wasnʼt easy. I made the decision right from the beginning that I wasnʼt going to “go on a diet”. I was going to change my lifestyle and the relationship I had with food. I started a food journal and wrote down everything that I ate and calculated the calories that I took in each day.
What an eye opener that was. I set a daily calorie goal and tried my best not to go over.  Sometimes I failed. More often I found that I could actually do this. I did a workout every day.

Was it hard? Yes. Did it hurt? Yes. Sometimes I wanted to give up.  Sometimes I didnʼt want to do one more squat or lunge. But getting on that scale every morning kept me motivated. It sounds so obvious, but when I ate right and really pushed in my workout the weight came off. Amazing. I was really doing it.

In the winter of 2012 I decided to try something that I never imagined I would ever do. I dusted off the treadmill that I had bought with good intentions a few years earlier and started running....well jogging....very slowly. But it was a start and was just what I needed and the pounds kept coming off. I started running 3 times a week and then I added some P90X to my routine and every once in a while Iʼll get brave enough to do some Insanity (itʼs called that for a reason :) ).


 Iʼve lost 115 pounds. Iʼm not skinny, but Iʼm healthy. I feel so much better about myself. What Iʼve learned is that it doesnʼt take some amazing person with super willpower to lose weight. It just takes a one day at a time commitment and a good amount of prayer doesnʼt hurt either. I know
itʼs cliche, but itʼs true...If I can do it anyone can do it.

Feel free to leave a word of encouragement or a bit of your own experience in the comments!  

If you have a story you'd like to share, please send me an email at walkingredeemed@ gmail.com.  It doesn't have to be a dramatic weight loss to be inspiring.  Reclaiming our health will look different for each of us!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Mary Ellen!! You have done awesome! It's kind of funny, our stories are almost exactly the same!! I weighed what you did and am down about 110, it's been 7 years now for me and it's work every day to keep it off, but it's become a lifestyle for me. I'd like to get the last few pounds off and started crossfit about 6 months ago, and have recently started eating paleo (mostly) it seems to be working! yay!!
    Congratulations and good luck in the future! :)
    Tell Danny I say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were beautiful before and now you are beautiful & awesome. What an accomplishment and it has been amazing to watch you stay committed to your goal. Your story ,I'm sure, will be a great motivation for many others. You are also very brave to share your story that others might be helped. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What a great job you did this past year & I am so proud of you. I have thought about watching what I eat but I have had a hard few months since the passing of my sweet nephew & just can't right now. Again, I am so proud of you & you look awesome.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you!!!!! :) You have motivated me this morning. I started my journey about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Beginning at @ 335 lbs. I did low carb and Adkins on and off and got down to 246 !! That was last summer. I am back up to 275 as of this morning. Its such a battle and Im so tired of it. BUT...You look so amazing that it has made me want to keep going and fighting !!!! Thank-you for sharing this...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary-Ellen, Congratulations. You are an amazing lady. I started last April because of health concerns. Because of a family history, of diabetes and heart problems, I too, decided I needed to lose weight. I have lost 33 lbs as of last week. I walk more and clean houses and do crunches. Thank you for sharing. May God continue to bless you. DEbbie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a valued part of this community. Each and every one is read and, in most cases, responded to. Feel free to jump in and offer an encouraging word to another who has shared a thought or question.

 photo commentembed_zpsa9a663cf.png